A woman in a purple shirt leaning against a tree and holding a guitar

Change Makers in Science - Celebrating International Women’s Day

By Vrushali Bokil

March 8, 2022, is International Women’s Day. The College of Science is celebrating the day with a Change Makers in Science talk by Laura Greene, Chief Scientist at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory and physics professor at Florida State University. Her talk entitled, “Journeys from Music in Cleveland to Quantum Materials Worldwide,” will discuss her journey in physics leading to her position at MagLab and the exciting field of quantum mechanics. RSVP for this here.

Following the keynote speech, there will be a panel discussion on negotiation skills aimed at beginning scientists featuring accomplished and notable female faculty members in the College of Science. The panel members will discuss specific tools and approaches that increase one's effectiveness as a negotiator through the lens of gender, with an eye towards research on gender issues. Panelists joining Professor Greene include:

The panel will be moderated by Vrushali Bokil, associate dean of research and graduate studies for the College of Science.

The event will take place in Oregon State University’s Memorial Union Ballroom and online via Zoom. It is open to the wider Oregon State University and Corvallis community. RSVP now.

Laura H. Greene is a physicist and expert in quantum mechanics known for her discoveries and research in unconventional superconducting materials and high magnetic fields. A member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, Greene is the former president of the American Physical Society (2017), vice president of the Executive Council of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics, and a member of the U.S. Department of State-supported COACH team, promoting success and impact of women scientists, particularly in developing countries.

Abstract: As a young folk-rock music girl in the east side of Cleveland, I had no idea I could consider a career in science. I don’t know if I was hard-wired for it at birth or “bitten by the science bug” at an early age, but it was just what I needed to do. I always feel lucky and honored to be a scientist; but there sure have been real challenges! I will discuss some of my journey in physics, always fueled by passion for this “seductive and consuming” field. Then, after a short overview of the MagLab, I hope to get across how exciting the field of quantum materials is – and how much we have to learn!

Agenda

Memorial Union Ballroom and virtually via Zoom
1:30 - 2 p.m. - Keynote speech: Dr. Laura Greene
2 - 2:15 p.m. - Q&A session
2:15 - 3 p.m. - Negotiation skills panel