To be a diverse, inclusive community that serves students, our professions and the public through innovative education, individualized advising, holistic mentoring and cutting-edge molecular life science research that creates knowledge and solves real-life problems.
Accomplishing this mission entails being a diverse and inclusive community that:
- provides excellent, pedagogically effective classroom/laboratory training for students at Oregon State University and around the world
- provides caring, individualized advising for our majors that helps prepare them for success in their chosen careers and in life
- develops innovative educational resources
- performs significant original research into the myriad of molecular mechanisms underlying life and disease, creates marketable technologies that practically benefit society, and provides transformative hands-on training for undergraduate students, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows
- provides service and leadership to our professional communities and through effective outreach helps educate the public about our discipline and the value of science.
Changing the world through scientific discoveries and empowering educational experiences for all students.
We act ethically, with honesty and honor, and without compromising the truth to ensure we do what is right.
Diversity and respect
We recognize that diversity and excellence go hand-in-hand, enhancing our teaching, scholarship and service. We respect all people, value the perspective and credibility of individuals from different racial, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds and treat people in the way we want them to treat us.
Teamwork and community
We care about and help each other. We have fun working together. To maximize our collective impact, we inspire, challenge and support each other to be the best we can.
We are public employees and take seriously our calling to serve our community, state, country and the world.
We commit to constantly improving and aim to provide the highest-quality work that exceeds the expectations of our students, colleagues, administrators, collaborators, alumni and supporters/shareholders. We change lives for the better by striving for excellence.
Curiosity drives us to create new knowledge through research, discovery and invention. We are experts in our fields and enthusiastically share knowledge and ideas with our constituents through effective communication and teaching.